jobs and adult and societal expectations?

Maybe I'm out-of-touch or maybe the rest of the online world is, but so much of the shit I see online baffles me. Like, people talking about shit that they feel like they need to have--maybe it's people chasing some sort of upper-middle-class kind of life and I work at full-time a pizza place making 11$/hr (and surviving fine, thanks North Dakota), but I just--it baffles me, you know?

I read this blog post/online article whatever, where the author was talking about how 'it's okay to wear the same clothes twice guys!!!' and it's like, fucking duh? I wear my Guns'n'Roses shirt every time it's fucking clean, man, I'm not going to chuck it just because I've worn it. Like where do these people come from? Why--what the fuck, you know?

And like, I know that there are certain things where I am out of touch like, for certain. Pop culture. I don't know. Right, I'm stuck in the 80s/90s when it comes to pop culture. I can tell you a lot about like, fucking Metallica and whatever, I don't know anything about any of the various pop artists that have popped up, and also I don't give a shit about them, because I don't like modern pop music. I think it sucks. And I do realize that, okay, so, I got a new car recently because the Boy was dying, and she's from 1991, and I was talking about her at work like, "oh man, and she's got automatic headlights and a tape player" and I was like fucking jazzed, you know, like it was 1991 or some shit like that, so, okay, I'll give you that.

But okay so, the thing is--maybe it is a mixture of the whole 'late 20th century' thing I've got going on mixed with how I was raised, but I just don't see the point in buying into having all the newest shit right now right exactly now kind of shit, you know? Also fuck MacBooks, I hate them, they're annoying. Anyway--I don't hate apple, I have an iPhone (though it ain't the newest model, because the people who buy the new iPhone every time it comes out also baffle me), I just prefer PC. And I was raised in a weird isolated sort of way, almost; I grew up in rural NoDak, which is isolated enough as it is, in the middle of fucking nowhere, like, closest neighbors were at best half a mile away, and my dad in particular is pretty anti-society. Like, in general.

But I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not struggling for cash when I make 11$/hr, and I know that at least part of it is because I do live in North Dakota and it's ridiculously cheap to live here, but my eBay habit sort of, you know, makes that fact a little less relevant, and I just--it's gotta be because when I buy a lot of stupid shit, it's all old and cheap, I dunno.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day