master of puppets season

It's Thursday, and, since I switched my grocery day from Friday to Thursday and don't have the self-control to just get groceries on my way back home after the lunch portion of my shift today, I got groceries this morning. It's October, you know, early in the morning October, and the weather's telling me it's about thirty-two degrees. Not enough sun to burn the frost off of my windshield and windows, not late enough for the radio to be playing music.

So I grabbed "Master of Puppets", rolled down my windows so I could see without scraping them (fight me, I did scrape the windshield), and skipped to track four.

It was around this time last year that I started listening to the LPOTL episodes of the West Memphis Three. I was still in college, and I would take these long morning walks. I have very specific memories of certain points of the episodes at certain points of campus, cold, before the sun rose. Once I finished those episodes and before I got my tapes, I checked out the CD from the library I worked at and pretty much just skipped between "Sanitarium" and "Orion."

"Sanitarium" is my favorite song to the point where it doesn't even feel like a Metallica song anymore. Logically I know it is. It's track four on "Master of Puppets." Duh. No shit. But it doesn't feel like a Metallica song. This isn't saying anything about about Metallica, obviously, they're my favorite band. And listening to it, even now, especially with the windows down at thirty-two degrees, just rocketed me straight back to last year, which was like, melancholy and fun, I guess?

I associate fall with "Master of Puppets", like I associate the first four with a season. "Ride the Lightning" is winter, "...And Justice for All" is spring, and "Kill 'Em All" is summer. And I've been falling back into Metallica lately, for some reason--they never stopped being my favorite band, because it takes a lot for me to change my current 'favorite band', but I took a detour down the Guns'n'Roses road for a while. The only problem with that is that the only GNR album I'm absolutely in love with is "Appetite for Destruction" (I mean, I like the Illusion albums they're just like, not amazing), so there was less to die about, you know.

But now it's "Master of Puppets" season and everything is "Sanitarium" and everything is. Kinda sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post