obligatory new year blog post

So, it's 2019. There are a few questions to ask.

What did I do last year?

  • I started this blog, and posting regularly. While this isn't like anything very many people read (I average ~20 views a post, hollaaaaaaaa), I do like it, and I think it's a way for people do kind of understand my voice if they're curious on whether I can actually write or not. I mean, this is different from my fiction, but, well, I mention I write in my videos, now you can decide whether I'm kidding myself or not.
  • Speaking of writing, this year's projects were... a novella for class, a first draft, a first draft that I abandoned (i'm sorry i still really like this idea maybe some other time), a decision that I Need To Rewrite The Pet Project Again, a first draft, a revision of what I'm currently calling my best work but I'm looking at another round of revision this coming year, a first draft, a rewrite that taught me yeah I can't do fantasy, and a NaNoWriMo that consisted of me writing 100k in twelve days. And the start of another first draft that I'm working on currently. It is open on word as I type this.
  • I started listening to Last Podcast on the Left and immediately became obsessed. 
  • In tandem with both the LPOTL talk & NaNo talk, I can tell you anything you need to know about the West Memphis Three.
  • Anything. 
  • I'm serious on that one.
  • I moved into a single dorm room, which is lovely. Don't get me wrong, I'm especially glad I had roommates freshman year, but I have not had a room to myself since like, 2005. This single room is the best thing in the world.
What am I going to do this year?
  • Graduate from college with a bachelor's in English (minors in French, History, & Creative Writing)
  • Hopefully quit my current job (which I love!) and get out of at least small-town, hopefully North Dakota (hence quitting the current job). 
  • Work hard as hell on fixing up my current Best Project and work hard as hell at writing a good query letter, and it's out of my control to say I'm going to get agented this year, but that's a hope in my secret heart. 
  • I have a whole list of writing plans at this point, but those are apt to change on a whim, but I know for sure the next three: finish the current first draft, second draft of last year's NaNo, and then fifth draft of the Best Project. 
  • A couple of wants: I want a tattoo, I want to go to more concerts, I want more cassette tapes, I want my car to survive. 
  • Not die, hopefully. 

Comments