philosophy can get over itself

So I decided it would be fun to take a philosophy class this semester.

I don't need it. I'm graduating this spring, and there were three classes I needed to take to graduate, so I had tons of room. So I shoved my schedule with other classes, like African-American Lit: Harlem Renaissance, Western Civilization Pt 2 (have not taken Pt 1, but eh), Abnormal Psychology, and Modern Philosophy.

I pretty much knew as soon as I signed up that I would end up just hating this class. First of all, some of the most pretentious people I know are in this class, so that's kind of annoying. As well as that, philosophy in general is something I cannot really take all that seriously. Rene Descartes (who is who we're starting with bc he's like important or whatever) sounds like someone who would not be fun at parties. At all. He was just obsessed with math. I don't want that at my party.

Maybe it's my staunch anti-pretension talking, but I just. Granted, it hasn't been too bad so far, the class at least, but the reading is just exhausting, and not in a, 'I learned something' way. More in like a, 'why did I watch that forty minute video on why the Matrix is actually real' kind of way. Exhausting my sanity, more like, pretty soon I'm gonna be running around saying I'm a fucking gourd or whatever Descartes thinks crazy people do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post