north dakota is wild

So, it's cold today. No surprise, it's winter, and we've been pretty lucky so far this winter, considering; it's been pretty mild overall. Today though, it's cold. High is -4, low is -14, but the windchill is bumping it down so far that, right now, when it is -7, it feels like -29.

So it's cold.

I'm someone who grew up here, so it's not like, absolutely terrible to walk from class to class (though I'm pretty sure my car is not starting when I have to go to work at four, but luckily it's Thursday and I know 100% where I can get a ride from), but I'm like, wearing full-length pants. Hell, I even put a hat on this morning. Normally I just use my over-the-ear headphones as my only head protection from the cold. I zipped up my coat. 

But this morning, I also saw some guy in shorts, because this is a college campus and you've always got those guys who wear nothing but shorts, and I also saw a girl carrying around an iced coffee. Like, I mean, if you like iced coffee sure, but like, maybe not the morning it feels like -30? Is this just a holdover from yesterday, because it almost got to freezing yesterday, it was gorgeous yesterday and I should've gone to Wal-Mart but I didn't because it was supposed to blizzard and then it didn't. 

I guess I'm also one of those idiot North Dakotans who does not care about how cold it is, though, because last weekend was Hockey Day North Dakota (first year, so like, if you haven't heard of it that's chill, also North Dakota, so if you haven't heard of it, that's chill), and there was an outdoor hockey game. It was also in the negatives last weekend. I decided to go and check it out because hey, I like hockey. I did wear a hat. I did not zip up my coat. Also didn't wear gloves. And then they told us the start time was half an hour before it actually was, so I sat out there for forty minutes, caught the first ten minutes of the first period, and then said, "Fuck this, I'm going to go watch Slither (2006) instead of losing toes."

But man, iced coffee when it feels like -30?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post