rip disc drive

A couple days ago I was watching the second Paradise Lost documentary, 'cause I'd just got the collector's edition and the second one was the only one that's not on Amazon Prime so I haven't seen it before, and even though I've heard it's by far the worst of the three I was pumped. My disc drive's been acting up for the past year or so, because I, admittedly, am not too gentle with my laptop and he is falling apart physically (sorry howard ilu), but I've found that if I either a) slam it shut really hard or b) smack it, it will acknowledge there's something in there.

So it broke that night, and then I got to spend a good half hour prying it open. I used my knife for a while, but that wasn't doing anything except getting the outer shell off, because it's too big to get into all the little cracks. Then I did find a sewing kit and used a seam-ripper and I did get my DVD back, but it's safe to say that disc drive is never working again. I do have an external one somewhere at home, so when I go home for Thanksgiving tonight I can hopefully find that and then I can finish the last twenty minutes of that damn documentary.

I've had my laptop for going on four years now; I got it with my graduation money when I graduated high school, and I'm coming up on graduating college. The thing still works fine, it's just that physically it's not doing so hot. Which is 100% my fault. I toss him in my backpack and cart him around, not generally being to gentle with it (the backpack is also getting all tore up, because my laptop is kind of big and doesn't quite fit but I Make It Fit), and I put that keyboard through hell, so I've been considering getting a new one. It's not just the disc drive. It would be real fuckin' dumb if it was just the disc drive, especially since I have an external one.

But I can't justify it to myself. I mean, it works fine. It's like my car: boy's got some problems but he still runs so we're going to ignore those until he doesn't run anymore. And, anyway, it's not like I use my laptop for anything other than Microsoft Word and the internet anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post