a day away

So, I finished NaNoWriMo last night.

My project was a little weird, to be honest; I mean, it was really two first drafts of the same project? I mean, the first one was an incoherent mess of feelings, and the second one was more structured but had less soul, and it's not a first and a second draft, so I'm calling it version one and version two. And I know it's something that both needs research and needs to be spliced together.

But I decided I'd take a day off, because I  needed to rewrite the first chapter of what used to be my favorite project I've ever done, because I feel like the first chapter was the absolute weakest point of that project. So I did that today. It was a day of pop-punk (at least until my Metallica cassettes came in the mail and I did listen to the entirety of Master of Puppets and most of the black album), it was a day back in that main character's head. And even though the two main characters are pretty different, it wasn't difficult to swap over. I mean, Zeke, the main character of OMSS, which is what I wrote the first chapter of today, is a very easy character for me to write. I think I described him on twitter as a "single-minded mess who isn't equipped to deal with his own emotions, let alone those of others."

And man, #relatable.

But tomorrow I jump back into research. I'm filming a book haul a long time before I really want to, just so that I can really start in on that research (I mean, I've got enough books for a book haul, it's just real possible for me to put it off a while). I'm gonna start printing off the versions of that first draft so I can start splicing them together.

I'm not letting this one sit. Not even a month. Not even a fuckin week. 

One day.

That's it.

And it wasn't even that big of a rest from the work, because I can't listen to Master of Puppets and not think of it, like, come on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post