self-publishing v traditional publishing

So, a little bit of a disclaimer here: I don't have any real experience with either, just opinions about what I want with my writing. I've never self-published anything. I've never had anything traditionally published. I have nothing but vague ideas.

I've always wanted traditional publishing. That's always been my goal with my writing, was to be traditionally published. I write novels, and pretty typical novels; there's nothing wacky or out of the ordinary with them. There are a couple of my things that I think would work well with traditional publishing.

But lately I've been thinking.

See, I've got this one project. It's massive. It is my baby. It's the first thing I ever really completed (at least first-draft-wise), and the first book (in the series, because this bitch is a series) has gone through god-knows-how-many-drafts (the current word document for it is titled: Draft Nine or Some Shit Like That). I've written at least a second draft for books two through four. Right now, in the weird in-between of not wanting to start something big before NaNo (which is normally when I work on this project, when I don't want to start something big), I've been working on the second draft of book five.

I feel like this project is one that would probably do really well self-published, or posted online, or something like that. This is something that I kind of just want people to read. It's not something that I think would work well in the traditional publishing world unless I was insanely well-established, because it's something that has to be JUST HOW I WANT IT. Which is kind of more of a self-publish-y attitude than a traditional publish-y attitude.

This isn't how I feel about all of my shit. Honestly, mostly everything else I am so open to suggestion and tweaking to make it better. I know authors have done both before.

But like I said, I only have my vague ideas.

But maybe once I finish this draft of book one (sometime, tbh, don't know when thatll happen), I'll self-publish. Or make a Tumblr for it and let people read it for free. IDK. Fuck, man, maybe I'll make a Patreon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post