lord of the flies was actually i mean.

 So, Lord of the Flies is my favorite book of like, all time, currently about to put out a book inspired on it (preorder GUILLAUME here) and this year I started teaching elementary school. And there have been people talking about how, how there have been instances about kids pulling together and working together and well. 

Well

As someone who does currently teach ten year old boys, well. I teach a Jack. The boy holds court in the lunchroom and is generally in charge. They split him up from his Roger this year (his Roger is my favorite even though he does cause Constant Problems and Sometimes Looks Like Jack Nicholson From the Shining In Pictures) but the boy is a Jack. The Roger! Teaching elementary school has made me convinced that I could fix Roger from Lord of the Flies. 

I think that one of the biggest strengths in Lord of the Flies is just how realistic the interactions are between the kids. I don't think I fully appreciated it until my most recent re-read, which happened after I'd been teaching elementary for a while, but while these kids are saying British-isms that the modern American child does not say, usually, the way they interact is full-on, you could tell this guy had been a teacher. That is how kids interact. There are weird power struggles and arbitrary rules for how and why they talk to each other and how they get banned from soccer because it was "mostly an excuse to kick each other, with a soccer ball hanging out." 

But, yeah. I do have another copy of Lord of the Flies in the book wall, so I will be re-reading it again sometime, and I'm excited about it. I love Lord of the Flies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post