all hail the nearly nu

A solid, I'm gonna say, seventy-five percent of my clothes come from the thrift store. What doesn't come from the thrift store comes from Wal-Mart, or Hot Topic, or... maybe eBay, if I find a cool band t-shirt on eBay, I might buy it. But most of my clothes come from the thrift store.

This isn't entirely a financial thing. I mean, it kind of is at this point. I have a really hard time spending more than twenty dollars on a single item of clothing at this point, unless we're talking boots, I'm pretty sure the seventy bucks I spent on my new Docs is the most money I've ever paid for a single item of clothing, ever, in my entire life. And I guess it's a financial thing in the sense of, I can go and get an armful of new clothes and I only spent twenty dollars and also I got like six books and a couple of VHS tapes--that's kind of nice.

I got in the habit in college of going and buying up the weirdest shit from thrift stores. Sophomore and junior year of college, pretty much my style was 'what the fuck, Aurora.' If something confused me, I bought it. I've calmed down a little bit now, like, mostly I just live in band shirts, which does beg the question, why do you keep buying dresses, Aurora, you never fucking wear them.

I don't mind used things. I've bought dishes from thrift stores, pretty much everything in my apartment furniture-wise was someone else's first. I got a bunch of shit from my parents that they didn't want anymore, plus a family friend that I'd babysat for a bunch of times gave me a pull-out couch and a bench that I use as a table at this point, because it works and I don't need a real table, Steven, I'm fine. I kind of like items that have a history to them. The desk that I have my computer on was my grandfather's--I never met my dad's dad, he died when my dad was sixteen, but I have his desk and also his little radio. Even though we had to clean out the desk because it was sitting out in the shop for a good twenty years, I love it. Even though it is missing a number of handles--I don't really care. I like old shit.

Also, I found four dollars in the pocket of a pair of pants that I recently bought from the Nearly Nu today, so that's also a plus. You're not gonna get paid to buy a pair of pants from wherever the fuck people buy pants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post