lots v individual tapes

So I buy a lot of cassette tapes off of ebay.

This is not news. We know this. We know that 'Aurora' is synonymous with 'buys a lot of cassette tapes off of eBay.' And like, I recently went on a tape-buying binge that was pretty huge (and all but TWO of my packages came on the same day so now I've got like five packages sitting on my floor waiting for those last two so I can do an unboxing and it is ROUGH), and the thing is--mostly, this time, I bought single tapes and small lots, which is not my usual prerogative.

One of the reasons why my tape collection is so goddam huge is that when I first started buying tapes, I would buy lots that had at least a dozen or so. I think the biggest lot I ever bought had around forty tapes in it. And these lots--I'd buy them because they had a handful I really really wanted. And then I'd find new bands! Heathen I found in a lot! Loudness! Those are some of my favorites, now, and I never woulda learned about them if I hadn't just so happened to buy that one lot that was just chock full of thrash metal tapes (it also had what is still my only Exodus tape, for some reason).

But these five packages--I bought one big lot. It's got sixteen tapes in it, and I bought it for this one Motley Crue tape I've been wanting, this one Anthrax tape I've been wanting (Among the Living!!! Follow me or die!!!), and this one Skid Row tape I've been wanting, plus a couple in there that I won't be mad about having (hell-o Alice in Chains), and it doesn't bother me that I'm about to have a third copy of Dr. Feelgood, and there'll be a couple tapes in there I don't recognize. But maybe it's because I now have this base, so there are an amount of tapes I don't... need? So there's that aspect of buying a lot that's a little diminished, because like, I have almost every Crue tape. I have pretty much every Metallica tape. At this point I just need to fill in the gaps, so I bought, say, Appetite for Destruction, and Countdown to Extinction (I do have this one, it's just, it's a bootleg and I don't want fucking Beastie Boys at the end), because I just need to fill some gaps.

But it's a little sad, you know, looking at that stack of packages, because I've got that lot of sixteen, that's got to be the big box. I've got a lot of five W.A.S.P. tapes (which is the whole reason I started down this hole of tape-buying, by the way). And I've got three Megadeth tapes coming. But mostly it's just single tapes. And I kinda miss the whole, the getting a big box of tapes in the mail.

But hey, there's always next month's tape orders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post