sorry freshman year of college aurora

When I was a freshman in college, I did the same thing that so many young people did before me.

I discovered Nirvana.

Like, to the point where someone gave me a framed picture of Kurt Cobain for Christmas.

I had dozens of Nirvana t-shirts.

Dozens.

And, naturally, I got wrapped up in the GNR/Nirvana feud of the early 90s. I refused to like anything that had to do with Guns'n'Roses. It doesn't help that my mother (who graduated high school in 1996 and is the reason I have my Docs [because she bought them in 92] and my denim vest [cut up from the denim jacket she bought at kmart in 92]) also hated Guns'n'Roses. I knew nothing about Guns'n'Roses except the chorus of "Welcome to the Jungle."

Sorry, freshman year of college Aurora, you have Appetite for Destruction on cassette... and... the special fancy 30-year-edition-special vinyl.

You have two little posters liberated from lyric sheets on your bedroom wall.

Steven Adler circa 1988 is your phone background.

Sorry, freshman year of college Aurora.

Your Kurt Cobain posters didn't even survive your last year of college and got tossed out when you moved home that last time.

Sorry.

You like Guns'n'Roses now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day