all the cons of a new computer with the same shitty keyboard

So my hard drive fucked off to not-working-ville a couple days ago. You know this if you follow me on literally any social media, because I have not shut up about it since, because it was an actual tragedy, and I'm mad about it. I didn't lose a ton of writing; just what I'd done since my regular Sunday back-up, and the thing died on Tuesday, so that's only two days' worth. So that wasn't too bad. What was bad was the three dozen prefilmed, edited videos I had done, which are just never going to see the light of day ever because I don't even have the raw footage anymore, so, no Parkland review, no Let's Talk School Shooting Books, no Tommyknockers Movie Discussion, et cetera. All of it? No more.

But I've complained enough about that, let's complain about other things regarding this. It is like having a new computer, having a brand-new hard-drive. Got to set-up Windows again. Now I have Office 2019 instead of Office 2016-that-I've-been-putting-off-updating-for-actual-years. Apart from my writing, everything's cleaned out and new. I'm free from the Sims. I no longer have to play the sims. I was eighteen kids deep on a 100-baby-challenge on the Sims 4, and now I don't have to play it any more and I can be free.

But like, my main problem with my computer before this, and maybe I jinxed myself by saying, 'nothing's wrong with how it works, it's just falling apart physically', is that my computer is falling apart physically. I bought it with high school graduation money, and I just graduated college, so it's a good four years old. Also, for three out of four years of college, I carted it around everywhere in a backpack that was a little too small to hold it, banging it around, not being excessively gentle with it because I get Lenovos, which are pretty hardy and pretty cheap. This year, the one year that I pretty much just left it in my dorm room all year, or at least half of the year, or at least once I got a new backpack that was way too small to fit it, is the year it started falling apart.

Laundry list of complaints:
1) Disc drive broke! I have an external disc drive, but the one in the computer first didn't work unless you smacked it a bunch of times, and then eventually got stuck with the second Paradise Lost documentary in it and I had to pry it open with a seam-ripper to get the disc out, and in the process completely tore it out.

2) Keyboard! I wear out keyboards like you wouldn't believe; I know my old computer (another, older Lenovo that my iPhone gets along with, so I still have that one to edit all my videos on) had its keyboard replaced about four times. This one, particular keys keep getting stuck and I eventually had to rip out the 'T' key so that I could just use the little rubber pad because the key was Not having that 'give me a 't' thing.'

3) Mouse! Both right and left click tilt weird directions.

4) USB ports! You have to hold things VERY STILL or they disconnect.

5) Power button! Use some force or you're not getting anywhere. It is staying off, or asleep, or whatever.

So maybe it's time for a new computer. But it's going to have to wait, because this one works just fine and I'm trying to like, move out and stuff, so like, give me a couple months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post