so like. joel.

I've talked about how I'm conflicted about Tate Langdon from the first season of American Horror Story, and I have reason to be conflicted, or rather... I don't, because he's terrible, and I should not be conflicted about falling for his bullshit each time I watch the damn season, because I know going in that he's a school shooter-rapist-father of the antiChrist?-murderer, et cetera. But like I like him anyway.

On a completely different plane, though, I've been watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel recently. I'm one episode into the second season, and apart from using my eight years of French class to understand what they're saying in France when they don't put the subtitles on (which might have ruined the vingt francs/twenty-five francs joke in 2:1, might have made it better, haven't decided yet), I've been really loving the show. It was absolutely phenomenal. And apart from the fact that I just love Midge, and I love Susie, and it's a hilarious show, there's one thing.

There's Joel.

So, Joel, or Midge's ex(? depending on the episode)-husband, who leaves her 'for his secretary' or, as I like to call it 'out of shame for his own inadequacy.' Joel, like pretty much every character in the damn show, is an incredibly intricate character. And it would have been very easy for the show to just paint him as the douchebag ex-husband that you yell at the main character for sometimes getting back together with. But that's not what happened.

I kind of... want them to get back together? I think they (mostly Joel) need to grow up. I think that they (mostly Joel) need to accept things about the other person in the relationship, but I think that their relationship is actually really interesting and good. I think one thing that the first season did a really good job of was, while we followed Midge's storyline, we got to see Joel have a crises and meltdown and change in the background. Because Joel really had a lot of character development, and I'm really hoping that continues into season two. I have nine episodes left, and I'm really hoping that I continue to love this show so much, and I'm really hoping that Joel's intense development continues.

Basically I think the moral of this is, if you haven't yet, and I know I'm pretty sure that I'm way late on this train, watch the show, it's real damn good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day