tape a picture of your favorite french revolutionary to your wall to improve your french

(okay, so like, any language you're learning + your favorite person from that country, i'm just learning french and it was a snappy if long title)

Everyone talks to themselves. Everyone does. Some people definitely talk to themselves more than others, and I know I'm one of those people, because even beyond the normal levels of talking to yourself I've also got the 'figure out plot points' talking to yourself thing going on.

Also, I'm a French minor.

I'm not like, super great at French. I could be worse. I could be a lot worse. But I could be better.

Lately I've been real into the French Revolution, for some reason. Okay, I know the kick-off point, but I don't know why it's really got me so much right about now. Anyway, the point is, I love French revolutionary/journalist/propagandist/failed lawyer/general public nuisance Camille Desmoulins, and I have taped up (sticky tack'd up) a bunch of Camille stuff on my wall. Including a portrait. And it's like, Camille is not the only person I have on my wall. Even beyond the Nirvana pictures, I've got a picture of Ulysses S Grant, my favorite US president (because what a MESS), as well as the WM3 mugshots, because, I guess, sure.

But I've noticed that since sticky tacking up Camille, I have been making an effort to talk to myself in French rather than English, because Camille doesn't speak English, probably. So beyond "bonjour Camille" and "a bientot, Camille" (with the necessary accents, my keyboard doesn't do that without a fight I'm unwilling to fight) when I enter and exit the room, I make an effort to try and figure out what I was going to say in French instead of English.

Is this weird? Like, yeah, I guess, and maybe I should not be living alone because it just breeds weird shit like this, but is it improving my French? Like, definitely. My nonexistent therapist might not be happy but my French teacher sure is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day