spring summer sunlight

While it's still getting cold at night, it's almost always hitting at least seventy during the day, now. The grass is green and dandelions are sprouting up everywhere; walks are no longer terrible and my arms and face are getting tan--and I don't have to wear leggings underneath shorts and skirts and dresses, so my legs can start tanning up, too.

(I know, I know, Aurora, why don't you wear sunscreen, that's important, sunscreen, that is one of my major unhealthy habits, is no sunscreen ever.)

But it's nice out. I guess it's technically spring, but I tend to associate spring with the possibility of snow, and while I guess there is still the possibility of snow, this feels like summer. Summer, I know, hits eighties nineties sometimes low one hundreds--but this feels like summer. School is ending--though nobody's actually in school, online classes are ending? Now Steven is a lot happier, with that weight lifted off his shoulders.

But everyone is in a better mood. Work last night was fairly slow, it's been fairly slow, apart from weekends, lately, but it was fairly slow and we just had a good time. My landlady was the last person to pick up a pizza, and it took me a couple seconds to recognize her, but that was interesting.

It's a weird feeling, because my heart is just filled with so much joy walking out in that sun that I can forget that shit's weird now. And okay--North Dakota that's not Fargo is not as heavily hit as some places. We're starting to lift restrictions, but we're still doing upwards of 1000 tests a day, and for a state with 762k people in it, we've tested about 7% of the population, and we're testing more every day. My county's had four cases and we've been at four for at least a month. Apart from Fargo and a couple of hotspots in Grand Forks and Bismarck, we are doing pretty good. We've been levelling off in terms of cases--the most we've had in a day is about 90. Yesterday it was 31.

So it feels--there's a weird dichotomy, there, that euphoria of spring mixed with pandemic mixed with the fact that everything feels pretty much normal. Sure, the state fair's not happening this year, and Steven's been sulking about a lack of baseball (we went for a walk the other day and stopped by the baseball diamond and he stared in for a couple of seconds and then said, "I should be at a Twins game right now."), but for the most part, my life, which is pretty much, work and the grocery store anyway--it's pretty much the same. Steven moved in, sure, and that was nice, that cuts my rent in half so now I only have to pay 230 a month, but other than that--

This feels normal. It feels nice. The presence of the sun and warm weather is too much to keep worried about things that feel so far away. That's the thing with rural North Dakota--you get so isolated that things like school shootings, pandemics, all of that shit: it feels so far away. And I know it's not. Fargo's got over half the cases in the state and that's only an hour away.

But it feels like this little bubble where everything is still okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post