finishing a series

So, I'm not the biggest fantasy fan. There are certain fantasy series that I enjoy, but if it comes down to it, the only genre that I dislike more than I dislike fantasy is probably sci-fi. I don't know why; maybe it's because I really don't give a shit about worldbuilding and both fantasy and sci-fi have huge writing hard-ons for telling me a bunch of shit I don't really care about, but whatever it is: as a general rule, I don't like fantasy.

One of the exceptions, for me, though, to the fantasy thing, is Cinda William Chima's Shattered Realms series. It's a spin-off of the Seven Realms series, which I did enjoy, but it hasn't ended up one of my all-time favorites, you know. There's something about the Shattered Realms series that the first series didn't have, and that thing is, probably, Evan Strangward.

It's a character thing, yeah, I don't get intensely fascinated with certain characters as much as I did when I was fourteen, but it still happens.

Either way, I'm finishing up the Shattered Realms series right now. Working my way through book four--I just started it. One chapter in.

And man, I am nervous.

Book one was all right, I loved book two, I really loved book three. Book four could either keep escalating this, or I could be severely disappointed, and I don't know which is going to happen. I'm only a chapter in, so I don't know. I used to really roll my eyes at people who said that they were 'scared to finish a series', because it's the same as people who were intimidated by big books (you know, before I spent a month on War & Peace and low-key wanted to pitch it through a window, not because it was bad, which it wasn't, but because it was 1400 pages): it is a book. I love books. I read books, I write books, I love books.

But now, with the book wall at 929 books, I don't tend to read books in a series very close to one another. And with my book buying restrictions, I don't always buy the next book in a series very soon after reading the others; I just bought A Conjuring of Light a couple months ago, and I read A Gathering of Shadows in 2016. The books I read, and the order I read them in, is pretty much entirely random. And when you're not binge-reading a series, you do get rid of that euphoric binge feeling, but you build up the anticipation. 

And the anticipation is definitely here with this one.

I don't even want to think about how I'm going to feel when I get to the spin-off Gone series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post