lords of chaos, heavy trip

While I've stopped my subscription as of now (I do have one more coming, just because I didn't cancel my subscription in time to stop it, which I'm not entirely upset about, because it's a good box, I just wanted to try another subscription box and it's forty bucks a month), I subscribed to the Metalhead Box for a while. I will say--as far as subscription boxes go, it is a good fucking box. It's based in Canada, for someone in the US it cost me around forty dollars a month, and honestly--with a t-shirt, two CDs, and various other things (like, for example, DVDs, collectibles, patches, pins)--that's a pretty good deal for what you're putting into it.

Over my run of subscribing, they sent out two DVDs: Lords of Chaos and Heavy Trip

Now these movies could not be any more fucking different, right. I watched both of them recently (we're not going to mention that we got Lords of Chaos uhhh, last October), and honestly? I did enjoy them both. Lords of Chaos a little bit more.

For those unaware, Lords of Chaos is a fictionalization/biopic/The Dirt of the Norwegian black metal scene of the early 90s. Varg, Euronymous, Mayhem, Dead, all that stuff. Church burning. Stabbing. Lots of corpse paint. I am going to say that I am not super into black metal, that's not my subgenre of choice, and all I knew about this situation before watching the movie is the aforementioned stuff, plus, spoiler alert I guess except it happened in real life so it's not a spoiler?, Varg kills Euronymous and Dead kills himself. That's what I knew. I honestly hadn't even listened to the LPOTL episodes on the situation, and they have come out with episodes. I'm excited to get to them.

But I did enjoy the movie. I thought it was entertaining, it was funny, it was gory (though of course they would show Dead post-suicide when his dead body was a Mayhem album cover), and it was surprisingly heartwrenching? There were some emotions there is all I'm saying. I'm not going to make claims on how accurate it was because you always assume 'not very' when it comes to music biopics, but as a movie it was well-done, I thought. Also the kid who played Dead also played Ozzy Osbourne in the "Under the Graveyard" music video, and he is adorable.

Heavy Trip!

This one was just straight-up ridiculous fun. Heavy Trip is a Finnish heavy metal comedy following this band that has been together for twelve years and never played a show, and one day they decide that they're going to go play at a Norwegian heavy metal festival. It is funny. It's kind of a weird comedy, for an American to watch, but I did enjoy it, and I did enjoy the characters, and how severely into Megadeth the guitarist was, like, it's not stated in-film but boy is dressed like early eighties thrash with his regular jeans and white sneakers and every time you see him he's wearing a different Megadeth t-shirt. It was funny, off-beat kind of comedy, and honestly, memorable, with fun characters, and you know--surprisingly heartwarming. I enjoyed.

I guess the moral of the story is that Scandinavian countries just get heavy metal, but I think we already knew that one? If anyone has any other heavy metal focused movies to recommend, I would enjoy the recommendations. Or horror movies--Lords of Chaos did run kind of horror-y, the kid they had playing Varg was actually terrifying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post