i miss The Boy

this post is about my car

I used to complain about my car a lot. I used to have this '99 Ford Explorer that had really seen better days; the laundry list of complaints would include: doors would not exactly open in the back; well, the one without a door handle opened from the inside, crack on the windshield, shook when it idled, was having a Lot of Trouble Making It Up Hills by The End, would really fight me about going highway speeds. So I got a new car before winter started. She's a '91 Mercury Grand Marquis, which, if you are familiar with cars at all, means I went from a four wheel drive SUV to this . And let me say--she goes better on the highway.

Like, in the summer. She's a great highway car. Gets up there, doesn't complain, doesn't start shaking when I go over 60MPH. Gets better gas mileage too!

I live on a hill.

It's winter.

We stormed out on Saturday. My work closed at eight, I got a call at five (was scheduled for 530) that was like, "Yeah... we're closing at eight, so if you don't want to come down for two and a half hours of work, we'll be OK", and while  my paycheck will miss that 22$, I knew that there was absolutely zero way my car was getting anywhere before the streets were plowed. And yesterday, when I worked, I realized: huh, yeah, this car's getting barely anywhere even when the streets are plowed, how fucking fun. 

With the Boy, the real question was if he would start. Which is, admittedly, a big question. But if he started, man, he could plow through anything. This girl's skidding around everywhere trying to keep her footing. There's a snow emergency route I can take to work that works really well for down-hill, because it's always clear and is usually the least slippery, but like, it's also the steepest, so going back is always kind of a fun game of "will she make it up! she normally does but there's ice today!" so that's always--

I miss the Boy, I miss four-wheel drive, I miss not having to have fucking sandbags in the trunk of my car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day