so how is nanowrimo

To put it simply, this has been the most difficult, teeth-pulling NaNo of my life thus far.

I don't know what it is about this year. It started out pretty much the same as any other year, except for the fact that I'm not at school this year, and yes, I am a couple days ahead, but I just--the project is a dud, I think, which is a shame, because it was one that I've been considering a while. I am 11k in and already I've considered dropping and doing something else, or simply murdering the main character.

I'm going to finish it. And maybe it's just not the right time for this project. Maybe I'll come back to it in a couple of years and be like, oh, yeah, all right, we can work with this. I'm noticing a new trend in my works where I've just gotten really into naming male side characters Izzy, which definitely has nothing to do with Guns'n'Roses. It takes place in the pre-smartphone days, because smartphones just make everything easier. There is a heavy music element to it, because there always is.

And there's a wrongful-conviction-true-crime-element to this one. My name for this project on the NaNo site is "a pretty good spiritual successor to last year's", because while last year's was pretty much just like, a fictionalization of the case of the West Memphis Three, this one is not that, again, because that would be stupid, but the reason it is about a wrongful conviction is pretty much because of that case, it just is not the story of a wrongful conviction, it's what's after a wrongful conviction, hence the 'successor' thing even though it's not the characters from that one it's completely new characters and everything, hence the 'spiritual' thing.

So there's that. I've been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd for this project. I dunno, it's got that drifty feeling I need. Hopefully I'll hit my stride at some point. If not, I'll pump out 50k and be done with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day