fucking SLAYER

If for some reason you haven't heard, like I guess if you haven't seen any of my social media posts at all, I went to fucking Slayer Sunday night.

They were in Fargo, the weather was good, so I went. It's not that far of a drive, and I did wait a while before picking up my ticket, because I wanted to make sure the weather was good, and Phil Anselmo and Ministry and Primus all opened then holy fuck I was like. so close to fucking. tom araya??? and gary holt??? and kerry king??? and their drummer whose name i still don't know??? it's not dave lombardo anymore. It's still kind of wild to me, like I can't actually believe that I was so fucking close to these fucking thrash gods. It is insane. I almost died, probably. I was second row right behind the barricade.

I've never seen so many battle vests in one place at one time before in my life. I've retired mine for the season and, honestly, I probably wouldn't take it to Slayer anyway, because it is like, pretty much falling apart, disintegrating, and it would actually fall apart, probably, but there were so many good ones. Best one, I think, was on this skinny kid that I can really only describe as looking like Jason Baldwin circa 1993--gonna say, I have not seen such a fine mullet on anyone else in 2019, it was impressive. But his battle vest was fucking cool, also. Looked very well put-together, and his patches looked at least semi-organized, with one line of Black Sabbath over his shoulders and a big fucking Maiden patch in the middle, and then Exodus and Slayer and Anthrax and Metallica and Megadeth and Sodom and--

I was not that far away from him before the concert started and I spent a lot of time staring at his vest, is what I'm saying.

It was pretty fucking intense. Phil Anselmo was the first opener, and he was doing Pantera, and so it was immediately, HERE'S A PIT! HERE'S A PIT! HERE'S A PIT! Ministry was also intense, but not so sharply? They also put on a really good show. Like I'm not super familiar with Ministry or any of their things, but they put on a really good show. Things calmed down with Primus because Primus is fucking weird, everyone pretty much chilled out with them. And they were so fucking weird. I dug it.

And then.

Slayer.

I held my position. I stayed fucking second row. I have bruises up and down my arms and lost the guy I was bracing myself against during half of Ministry and the entirety of Primus (RIP dude, you were cool), but I held my fucking position. I will say, I do really dig how someone will elbow you in the shoulder or the back of the head while bringing their arm down and just sort of. Pat you on the head. Like, woops. And I like how everyone's making sure that nobody is actually going to pass out. It was tight quarters, man, and I did see one kid get pulled over the barricade because he was Not Conscious anymore, but I really only saw one.

It was a pretty small concert, too. I mean, I don't know exactly how many people were in General Admissions because I was in the front, but the seats were completely empty. But like, if you're going to go and see Slayer, why would go and sit down??? 

post-show



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day