i'm basing myself artistically off of anthrax

The band. Anthrax the band.

So I've been listening to my Attack of the Killer B's tape today, and it's just a mess of b-sides and live performances and Anthrax doing whatever the hell Anthrax wants. I have a couple of other Anthrax tapes; I have Spreading the Disease, and State of Euphoria, and Sound of White Noise, and also the Black Lodge single, and also two I'm The Man singles. One of the I'm the Man singles was my first Anthrax tape, and it includes the clean version of I'm the Man, the not-clean version, the live version, plus their cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and two other live songs (I Am the Law and Caught in a Mosh).

I fuckin love that tape.

Anthrax is my second favorite of the Big Four (Metallica is my first, I'm basic like that; my list goes: Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer), and while a part of that is how much they fuckin love Stephen King  I've talked about that before. I also think their live stuff is some of my favorite, just in terms of how New York they sound when they're talking, how they interact with the audience, how they sound live. Of course the music is a part of why I like them, it's a band. It's about the music.

But when I say I'm basing myself artistically off of Anthrax, I'm not talking about musically or anything. I don't play or write music, I just write like, novels and short stories and essays and poems if I'm in a poetry class. I mean I'm basing my artistic vision off of Anthrax, and by that I mean, I'm doing whatever I want, and I'm doing this for me, and if people like it, that's chill, but I'm not going to change what I do for anyone. Not for sales, not for people who think it's not high enough art, whatever. I'm doing what I'm doing because that's what I want to do. And I'm always hit with that feeling whenever I listen to Anthrax, that they're doing what they're doing because that's what they want to do.

Maybe it's why they're definitely the least well known of the Big Four (even if Stephen King loves them back), but fuck man, they seem to be doing fine. They're not starving in the streets, as far as I know. And there's something really admirable about what they do and how they do it and their kind of fuck you attitude about it all.

Also, I watched a... panel-type thing, except it wasn't a panel, it was just Kirk Hammett (Metallica, obviously) and Scott Ian (Anthrax) talking about Cliff Burton (late bassist of Metallica) and it was one of the best things I've ever watched, I loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post