Pulling Through a Fantasy Project

I've already talked about how high fantasy isn't really my deal, so it might come as a bit of a surprise that my current focus writing-wise is the second draft of a fantasy novel. And I'm talking, European-style (mostly), princesses, swordfighting, medieval kind of fantasy. The kind of fantasy that I pretty much don't like.

This is something that I wrote the first draft of way back when, in 2014. Four years this bitch has been sitting on my hard drive. It's a trilogy, I guess; I've written first drafts for books two and three, too. It was the second separate project I ever wrote, and even now, I do really like the characters and the plot.

But dear God, writing this shit is like pulling teeth. This is pretty much an experiment in, Aurora should not write fantasy, because at this point I'm finishing it to finish it, because I hate leaving stuff unfinished (I don't want to talk about the first draft I started right before last spring semester ended, took a weird long break on, and then never finished, because I don't even want to think about it), and it's gotta be helping my writing. I'm holding myself to three pages a day, rain or shine, like a mailman of words I don't want to be writing.

And it's not always bad. Sometimes the three pages will be done in fifteen minutes and I'm good. Sometimes it'll take an hour and I spend forty-five minutes staring at the library ceiling wishing that I was just done already. I'm nearing the end; it's going to be a pretty short project, because I'm at about 42k and I have maybe four or five chapters left. But it's not something I ever think I'm going to even try to get published, so that doesn't really matter.

Maybe I'll change my mind. Maybe I'll finish this second draft and in the next couple of years decide I do love fantasy, revisit it, whatever. But for now, I'm just trying to get through this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post