True Crime & Thrillers

I'm currently making my way through Michael Connelly's A Darkness More than Night, a thriller from about 2000. It's part of a series, but it's one of those adult thriller series where you don't really have to read them in order. At least, that's what a forum from 2007 told me when I typed in if you had to read the Harry Bosch series in order.

I'm about 100 pages in, and there have been a couple of true crime references that have been kind of exciting. Menendez Brothers & OJ. But even beyond the references, reading about the crime scenes gives me the sort of feeling of listening to a true crime podcast (albeit a less humorous one than I usually listen to), or like when I still had Netflix and would watch Criminal Minds for a 'true crime' fix, before I started listening to the Last Podcast on the Left.

I've been ultra-true crime-y lately, and I realize this, but I go in phases. My last huge true crime phase was right after I watched the movie Zodiac, with Jake Gyllenhaal, which is about the Zodiac Killer, after which I promptly bought Robert Graysmith's book, as well as some random Gacy book. Both of those books sit unread in my book wall but I'll get to them sometime.

But I think that thrillers can be an interesting way to fill those true crime-y impulses. When you don't want to listen to a podcast or fill your search history with questionable things, a thriller (or, I guess, an episode of Criminal Minds) is a good way to go. I'm not sure how I feel about the book itself at this point--Connelly's writing style is not really my favorite, but there have been times where I have been compelled to continue to read, so like, that's a positive--but there are scenes that are pretty cool. So maybe I should pick up a few more adult thriller-type novels. I've read some Gillian Flynn and Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll, and I really liked those.... but then again, both of those are much more character-focused than Connelly's novel.

So we'll see what I think of this one. Hopefully it's good things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post