First Drafts v. ACTUALLY REWRITING, AURORA.

So, a couple of days ago, I started writing a new first draft. A new novel, new project--I just had to. This is like, the second time this has happened in the past couple of months (I don't actually want to go back and count how many first drafts I've written this year because I feel like the number is higher than it should be). And there's nothing wrong with writing first drafts. First drafts are my favorite kind of drafts.

But Jesus Christ do I have so many first drafts to rewrite. I guess it says a lot about how I feel about my projects if I can be so easily swayed from them by first drafts, but some I'm holding off on rewriting because I've got to do a lot of research (lookin' at you, last NaNo project). And then there's the fact that no matter the project, there's never that high of a new story. There are new words (my first drafts are pretty much glorified outlines and I always end up completely rewriting them, bar maybe a couple lines of dialogue if I can't get the feel right the second time around), but it's not a new story. I know how it goes this time.

So this new project. Not gonna say much, but it is true crime-y. I'm blaming the Last Podcast on the Left. Dear God have I been doing nothing but listening to the Last Podcast on the Left. I've even had to drag myself away from watching backlogs of the Last Stream on the Left, because with podcasts, you come for the concepts, stay for the hosts, and I like these hots a lot. 

But I'm going to finish this first draft. I'm going to continue querying OMSS. I'm going to go back and work on some second draft...

Until NaNoWriMo rolls around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post