Childhood Books on Audio

So, I work at a library. This is not news. My library is currently renovating so, in addition to pretty much everyone getting moved over to our secondary branch while they tear apart my library and (well, give it a much-needed foundation fix) give us new carpets and shelves and whatnot, there has been a lot of weeding going on.

Most of the upstairs weeding happened before the library closed to patrons, and that is where a lot of my new books came from, because, working there, I can just take what I want from the weeding pile and I abuse this power greatly. The children's librarian has been putting off weeding, though, and, since we have a lot of Playaways (basically, little MP3 players that just have a book on them), we've been sort of phasing out our CD audiobooks.

Say hello to my new beautiful boys. 
Those are four childhood books and one childhood author (It's the First Day of School... Forever! is a little after my time, but R. L. Stine is NOT), and I am so pleased that now I have an excuse to just wander around listening to some of my favorite childhood books. Carl Hiaasen wrote two of the books I read and re-read and re-read--Hoot was one of them (Flush was the other one). Tamora Pierce is very well-known for her fantasy series with great female protagonists, but I never read the Song of the Lionness books--Protector of the Small was always more my jam, and now I have the first two on audio! And that bottom book?

When I was maybe eight or nine, there was a book in a book order that I really wanted to get. I didn't get it. I went to the library and all I could remember was that it had a spider on the front. The Liberation of Gabriel King. It's about a fourth/fifth grader in the south in like, the sixties who's scared of everything, and his best friend is a black girl who actually has real things to be afraid of, real things that are not spiders, and while I do totally have a hardcover of this book at this point (thanks, Thriftbooks), I had to take it. It is now mine. Thank you, library renovations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post