Looking Back on Childhood

I might be a little bit premature on writing this--as of right now, June 12, 2018, I am a month shy of being twenty-one years old. In the grand scheme of things, I'm still basically a child. I've only been paying taxes for a few years, I only have a high school diploma, and I can't legally get shitfaced yet. But I do have a job, and student loans, and a balanced checkbook. So I can reminisce if I want. 

Lately, I want to say in the past five or six months, I've been enamored with things that were popular when I was younger. The band 3OH!3 crash-landed back into my life, and WANT is still my current car-CD. Recently I was just hit with how influential The Lonely Island was on 2009-era culture, and, man, did "Jizz in My Pants" give me seventh-grade flashbacks. Also now I'm in love with Andy Samburg. Not because of that song. Mostly because of Brooklyn-99. 

but let's be real also the music. bin laden song is a thing of FUCKING beauty

In addition to that, I've been getting back into David Spade movies. I binge-watched a good bit of Rules of Engagement. I watched Tommy Boy and Black Sheep and re-watched The Benchwarmers, which was my favorite movie when I was eight. David Spade was my first celebrity crush, and it was 100% because of The Benchwarmers. Not even his movies with Chris Farley, when he was still kind of cute. Nope. 8-year-old-Aurora wasn't into that. But anyway--that's just another example of me trying to hold onto my childhood.

Now it's come another step farther, I guess, because I started re-reading the Warriors books. These are books about fictional cats, and I devoured the first three series + an amount of the super editions/extra things/mangas when I was a child. And I'm like, a little happy but also a little freaked to discover that I still love them, and that they're still extremely addictive. So I'm re-reading those. 

But it's not just media. It hasn't been summer long, and I haven't been home a lot of the time, but I just know that when I have a day off, I'm going to be outside, trying to hold onto whatever I have left of my childhood. Because I'm going to be a senior in college this coming year. I'm going to graduate. And this is my last real summer at home. I might stick around next summer, but likely, as soon as I find an apartment in town, I'm going to be moving out. So this is my last shot to be a kid, even though I'm really not anymore. And even if it's just on a subconscious level, my brain is freaking out about this and attaching me to all of these childlike things.. Which is like, all right, not gonna complain about it--these things still bring me joy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go read some more of Rising Storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post