Giant TBRs

I filmed a book haul today. It probably won't go up for another week and a half, but I filmed it today. I added 20+ books to my already huge TBR, and while the space in my room for books is shrinking, and while the current trend in the book community is downsizing, I... don't mind.

I have had a huge TBR for the past couple of years, but this past year especially it's doubled in size. I'm talking hundreds of physical books crowding around my walls. Stacks blocking windows. This sounds like hoarder behavior when I talk about it this way. Sorry about that.

The thing is, I don't feel constrained or pressured by my TBR. I know a lot of people are tending to downsize because they figure they won't read everything on their TBR... but I fully intend to read everything on my TBR, and I mean everything, from old westerns to children's books about hockey. My system of choosing my next book is completely random; I have a list of all of my TBR books and I go on a random number generator and that's the one I read next, barring two things: I've already read it (in that case I can read whatever book I want, re-read or otherwise), or I'm not that far in a series (in which case I go and read the book that I am on in that series).

I own a lot of books, and while my mom might be mad at me for taking up space in her house and while I might change my mind on how I feel about it later, right now it's chill. Right now I like owning a lot of books. I like having a huge TBR to choose from, even if a random number generator does the choosing. Maybe it was easier when I was fourteen and only had eighteen books on my TBR, but man, I'm happy with it right now. So why downsize?

Comments

  1. Yeah,I know the feeling. I have over 500 books and one tiny bookshelf that fits maybe 80 or 90 books. I have books all over the place. Lining the walls, scattered all over the floor, in dresser drawers, under the bed. I've only read like 10% of them and yet I continue to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH, it's kind of a cool aesthetic to have books crowding everything. Sometimes people get claustrophobic when they come into my room, but, eh, I'm fine with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post