love letter to the usps

I've been in the post office more than often lately; before this month, the last time I was inside was last fall, when I went into go buy stamps. This was before I realized that you could just, you know, order them on the internet, thus giving the USPS more money when you pay to have them shipped to you. But lately I've been having to send out these big manilla envelopes of things; fingerprints to ESPB so they can background check me, and a title correction to a guy because he traded a car to his friend who sold it to me who promptly fucked the title up, so now I get to mail a guy in Park Rapids I've never met some paperwork that hopefully he signs and sends back in the pre-addressed&stamped envelope I also stuck in there, because otherwise I'm fucked.

Each time it's been a line. Yesterday I was there right when they opened back up after lunch; I decided to walk down, and so I just managed to catch them right when their lunch started, so I wandered around. Slipped into a local used bookshop for a bit. Bought six books. Went and got a coffee at a local coffee shop, called my mom and walked around with my coffee and my new six books until 12:15.

My mailman is on a rural route, because while I'm in town I'm just far enough that the rural mailman gets us, and when I still worked at the pizza place he would come in and the first time he saw me, he was like, "I'm your mailman!" and it was like, no shit Gary. But he's a good mailman.

I love writing letters. When I was in college, me and two of my roommates sent each other letters one summer. Me and one of my roommates started making it a competition, who could write the longest letter. This past year, me and one of my internet friends started sending each other letters. That was fun. There is something about getting a letter in the mail.

Two of my bills are paid by check through the mail. Internet and electricity. I guess I could either, a, go and drop off the checks, though the internet comes from a town thirty miles away and that sounds like a process, but it's so much easier to get the bill, write the check, pop it in the mailbox.

It used to be my dream to be a mailman, for some reason. That was and still, to be honest, kind of does feel like, the ideal job. For some reason. I just fucking love mail, I guess.

love,
aurora

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day