how's the top ten bottom five looking?

 It's been a while since I've done one of these. For the first few months of the year I was good about doing them every month, but, uh, that fell off, and I've read a number of books, and so--let's talk about it. This does count re-reads. 

TOP TEN BOOKS SO FAR

10. Goodnight Punpun 1 by Inio Asano

A manga made it onto the top ten? Hot damn.

9. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

My first full-length Jackson and it was stellar!

8. The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

A tragedy, really. Very good.

7. The Sunshine Court by Nora Sakavic

At the end of the day I AM AFTG trash. And I'm Jean trash. So.

6. The American by Henry James

This one did truly surprise me; I've read James before and he's always been FINE but he's never impressed me like this. Good times.

5. And Then They Were gone by Judy Bebelaar

Nonfiction! Jonestown! So sad!

4. The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

As of right now, this is the highest up non-reread and it's looking to be my best book of 2024. Which it deserves. God it's a fucking good one.

3. Needful Things by Stephen King

Genuinely my favorite 'underrated' King novel.

2. The Bachman Books by Stephen King

The Long Walk really gave this one some points, I think. But I do love Rage, and the others in here are fine, too.

1. Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis

Okay! Okay! This is my favorite book of all time! It is SO MUCH. You guys, it's SO MUCH. Best book ever written. GOD. 


WORST FIVE SO FAR

5. The Red Labyrinth by Meredith Tate

The Maze Runner but like, make it worse.

4. The Nameless by Ramsey Campbell

A pulpy horror but nothing happened.

3. Art is the Lie by Courtney Cook Hopp

Twilight but like, make it worse.

2. No One Rides for Free by Judith Sonnet

I think I was mostly disappointed by this, because it's definitely better than some two stars I have? But like.. it disappointed me.

1. Call of the Cherokee by F Gardner

This was just not... like... good? I mean on a craft level? And a grammar level? 😬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post