TBR MASSACRE: 7.21-7.27

 BOOK WALL START:  2158

WEEKLY GOAL: 2148

Thursday, July 21

Book Read! 1 Year, 100 Pounds by Whitney Holcombe. 

Do I think that what she is saying is factually true? A lot of the time, yes. She is right that if you want to lose weight, the only foolproof way is to eat less, move more. Do I also think that she really needs to like, calm down about... butter and stuff? Yeah. Butter on your toast in the morning is not going to make you 230lb again Whitney, I promise. 

2157

Book Read! Haikyu!! 6 by Haruichi Furudate

This is currently my favorite 'catch-up-and-read-them-all' series, but I'm gonna say this is my least favorite volume so far. That just means it's a 4-star instead of a 5-star, though.

2156  

Friday, July 22 

Book Received. Entries from a Hot Pink Notebook by Todd D Brown

Gotta love some classic gay 90s teen fiction. The tagline on the back says, "What if Holden Caulfield were coming of age--and coming out--in the Reagan years?" so I'm sure that'll go well for this kid. One of the books I bought for my birthday. Used. 

2157   

Book Read! Sweat and Soap 2 by Kintetsu Yamada

I remember enjoying the first book but not thinking much of it; this, on the other hand, was absolutely adorable + hilarious. I love the main character's little brother and our love interest is delightfully dense. 

2156

Saturday, July 23   

Book Read! Sentries by Gary Paulsen

I have never been a huge Paulsen fan. Some of the scenes he writes do stand out very vividly in my head but as a whole his novels have never been for me. This book was no exception. Definitely, there were parts that deeply disturbed me, most notably the "Battle Hymn" sections--especially the one about Ray. Also liked that one of them was about a guy from North Dakota. That was fun. As a whole, this book felt like it should have been longer. I realize it's about humanity and all that, but give me more than 160 pages, Gary. 

2155

Book Read! Qualityland by Marc-Uwe Kling

This was a Goodreads giveaway that I won years ago (the copy I read is an ARC from January 2020), and I tend to not have the highest of expectations from Goodreads wins. Mostly because they're free books so I just click "enter giveaway" if it looks vaguely interesting. This one surpassed those hugely low expectations. Satirical, hysterical, I see what Kling's going with--definitely one to pick up. Absolutely adored it, and I hope more of his work gets translated into English. 

2154

Book Read! Lovesick Ellie 2 by Fujimomo

Wow! We're sure doing great today! I sure hope six birthday books don't come in and ruin all of our progress!!! 

In terms of the book, meh, liked the first volume more. I liked the backstory we saw in this one.

2153

Book Received. Little Shock of Hate by Clio Evans

I was a Homestuck, sue me. I realize that this doesn't out of the box look like a Homestuck-related purchase but those of us that were Homestucks will look it up and understand. Anyway. Self-published monster... "romances"... leave me alone.

2154

Book Received. His Favorite 9 by Suzuki Tanaka

Really enjoyed the first eight volumes in the series. It's got a level of absurdity that really matches the shit that I enjoy in a romance. I'm hoping for more Nozawa siblings. I keep mistakenly calling them the Tanizawa siblings but IDK where that even came from. 

2155

Book Received. Soul Eater by Lily Mayne. 

This is also self-published...? I'm getting into buying a lot more self-published because I do self-publish and to completely ignore self-published books seems hypocritical. This is supposed to be violent which like I enjoy, so, I'm into it. 

2156

Book Received. Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe

 This book has been compared so many times to Lord of the Flies, which, let's face it, is my favorite book, okay, it's my favorite book, it's not The Long Walk, it's definitely Lord of the Flies, god damn it, but anyway, you gotta do is compare a book to LOTF and I will want to purchase it. It's that easy. Also, I haven't read much Japanese literature (still haven't gotten into Sayaka Murata and I need to, man), but that which I have read (okay, Battle Royale and like, one random mystery when I was in high school) I have enjoyed. 

2157

Book Received. Homestuck: Book Two by Andrew Hussie

Didn't I tell you I was a Homestuck? I want credit for reading this fucking webcomic on Goodreads, god damn it. And volume two was the cheapest. I did get it in paperback. 

2158

Book Received. Hitorijime Boyfriend by Memeco Arii

fucking god damn it we're higher than we started fucking damn it fucking damn it anyway I was deeply confused while reading Hitorijime My Hero 1, and that's with having watched the first episode of the anime. That's when I learned this is technically a prequel. Also it's explicit. I found that out when flipping through it. I don't think Hero is???? At least the first volume isn't. Could be wrong. It's whatever. 

2159

Sunday, July 24  

 Book Read! Hitorijime Boyfriend by Memeco Arii

 This did nothing to make me understand Hitorijime My Hero 1, but it did do a lot to make me like the relationship between Ken and Hasakure a whole lot less. Hasakure was pushy in all the worst ways, my god. I am growing a deep, deep fondness for Setagawa. He's always been my favorite in the series and this just. Honestly one of my favorite anime/manga characters at this point. 

2158

Monday, July 25

Tuesday, July 26

Book Read! Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

 This one was very fun. I can really see where a lot of middle schoolers are going to enjoy this book, like, a lot. I am interested, vaguely, in continuing the series--it's got the magic school aspect, it's got some fun side characters... while the main character gets into like, way too many mishaps, that's still fun. 

2157 

 Book Read! His Favorite 9 by Suzuki Tanaka

I enjoyed this volume. I like it when we learn about some of the side relationships, but I'm not sure why this new couple needs to be uh. Cousins. 

2156

 Book Received. Four Weeks, Five People by Jennifer Yu

This is another birthday pick coming in. Mostly, I grabbed this one out of my amazon cart wait for later because it was three dollars, but it does also feature male eating disorder rep which I don't see often. 

2157

 Book Read! What if It's Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera

My first Adam Silvera book where the main character doesn't get violently assaulted at some point! Woo hoo! In all seriousness, this was cute, very frustrating at points, and good enough that I am planning on reading the sequel at some point. 

2155

Wednesday, July 27

 

you failed, aurora

you failed  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

      











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post