let's talk about killing my tbr

 I have always had a large TBR pile; affectionately called the "book wall" for several years, it now more resembles a "book landfill." My fiancé trips over parts of it as he walks into my office. I have a second, smaller "book wall" (this one does actually resemble a wall) for the books I've received in 2022. 

Since February, Steven (aforementioned fiancé) and I have had a "bet." He can't buy pop, I can't buy books. This is less of a bet and more of a way (that finally! fucking finally! works!) to stop me from buying more books, because every time there's a good pop sale I go "pass for a pass" which means he can utilize the sale and I can buy two books. There are a few exceptions. When I put out a book, I can of course get myself a copy. That's similar to Steven, if he decided to get crafty, being able to create his own soda-pop, I guess. If I need a book for work, I can buy it. I'm a high school English teacher and I let/force kids to do novel studies, which means they pick a book and we both read it and I make them write about it. So, I need access to books sometimes. 

It's hard to say that it's going well because as of today, if I count the book I just finished, which was a delightful self-help book about a teenage girl who lost 100 pounds in a year that is definitely about her eating disorder (butter's not evil, Whitney), the book wall is sitting at 2157. You read that right. That is four digits baby. That is over 2000 unread books threatening to kill the people in the apartment below us. 

To my credit, my high was 2268. I am down 100 books. With all of the books that I have been able to get, being down 100 in less than half a year is pretty good. Because I had some pre-orders already, plus those passes, plus also my birthday was last Saturday and Steven gifted me a mega-pass, or, 10 books or 100$, whichever comes first. 

I naturally got 10 books  for 98$. 

I'm reading a lot. I really am. I'm doing at least a book a day, sometimes more. 

I'm also documenting this over on TikTok, where my username is what it is everywhere, Aurora Dimitre. go there if you want day-by-day updates. But I'm thinking about starting a weekly post up here, too--so, every Thursday, starting next Thursday, we have a weekly post talking about me killing my TBR. 

Just for something to do, I guess. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post