facebook v twitter

What's been interesting during this whole Coronavirus thing is the difference I'm seeing between Facebook and Twitter. I'm in North Dakota, which is a state that hasn't really been hit yet (I heard we maybe have one case now? I'm not sure if it's confirmed yet or not) by anything other than everyone buying all the toilet paper. Like I'm talking, one of my coworkers went to Wal-Mart the other day and they were out. They had some at the Family Dollar yesterday, but the lady in front of me had a cart full, so who the hell knows how long that's going to last.

But the difference is interesting. On Twitter, where I follow people from various parts of the US/world in general--absolute panic. People who are living in places under quarantine, people going to school in places where their colleges are swapping to online for the rest of the semester (and if it gets to the point that North Dakota colleges start doing this, I get a roommate a couple months earlier than I thought!). They've got more going on, so it's understandable that they're a little more freaked. Facebook is people I know in real life, other North Dakotans, and mostly it's--"dear lord please stop buying all the fucking toilet paper."

What this is reminding me of is the swine flu thing. I was in late elementary school at that point, and I remember people freaking out a little; my best friend's little brother got it and so they were both out of school for two weeks. And yeah, it is a little freaky, mostly how much people are panicking, though I know that I personally will likely not (a) get it or even if I do (b) die, because I'm 22 and pretty healthy. But even if the sickness itself isn't something that's freaking me out at this point, the widespread "holy shit" is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

obligatory new year blog post