caffeine

 So I'm trying to cut caffeine. It was getting pretty bad at the end of the school year, like, two-Mountain-Dew-Rise-Energy-Drinks-a-day bad, and so I decided to just cut cold turkey. This has not been entirely cold turkey; sometimes the withdrawal's a little too rough in the 'caffeine headache' variety and so I have like, a Coke, which is only like 30mg of caffeine, far cry from the 180mg-a-can energy drinks. Today I have had none. I told myself if I could at least make it an hour longer than yesterday... and now I've already brushed my teeth and so I don't want to drink pop. 

I've cut caffeine before. I used to be a big coffee drinker; I had a Keurig through college that I had a lot of fun with. Right now I have a coffeepot that I feel like I should replace with an electric kettle because we only use it for the hot water now. I have pretty much lost my taste for coffee. I can still enjoy stuff like mochas and whatnot, but straight coffee is not my deal anymore. Last year, last summer is when I think I started, I had cut caffeine. But then I, somehow, got back in the habit again.

Actually, I know how I got back in the habit again. I had to drive 100 miles a day for work and so I had to stop for gas every two days and so I ended up picking up energy drinks, because Casey's decided to not open until 7:00AM and when I'm leaving town at 6:30 that means I have to go to Lil' Cenex and they allow me to pay inside after the fact and then well, then I just end up grabbing a couple of Monster Rehabs or RockStars or Mountain Dew Rises and fruit snacks. 

This is also like, probably one of the reasons I gained so much weight my first year teaching. That and also the fact that being a high school English teacher is a helluva lot less movement than working at a pizza place. 

But despite a brief throbbing in my temples, the headache hasn't been too bad today. And I'm drinking nothing but water for the rest of the day, because, remember, brushed my teeth. And while caffeine was not on my 'Summer To-Do', it's the first goal that I feel like I'll be accomplishing. 

Where am I on the other goals? Well, Steven and I applied for an apartment yesterday, I've continued studying for those exams, and I have read five books. I've done some writing, too. And I haven't bought any books that weren't... well, there was one lot of Stephen King books that I'd bid on before the school year ended and nobody else wanted, apparently, but I haven't bought any books other than that! Not a single one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day