i like the artist, not the art

The Dirt was a fucking phenomenal movie. I know that there's some discussion to be had about just how much was romanticized, about how much was glossed over, et cetera, et cetera, but that doesn't take away the fact that I had a lot of fun watching it. And one of the best parts of this movie was Machine Gun Kelly as Tommy Lee.

(I also really love how Tommy Lee has kind of just adopted MGK at this point, it's fantastic)

So, I like MGK. I've watched interviews, I think he's funny, he's cute as hell, and I think he did a really good job in The Dirt. I can't make it through his songs.

I'm pretty open about what kind of music I listen to, and rap is not the kind of music I listen to. I can handle rap in other songs, like, for example, in the song "The Dirt", MGK has a portion in the middle and I dig that just fine. He also has a part in the middle of some Papa Roach song. That's fine. The only one of his songs that I have been able to make it all the way through on is "I Think I'm OK", and that's because one could argue that's not actually a rap song.

So it's kind of a weird thing, you know. It's like, oh, MGK, I like him, except like, not his songs, just... him? As a personality? I follow him on Instagram but I don't care about when he posts promos for new singles or tour dates or anything, because like, I'm not going to be listening, but I watch every one of his stories because he's gorgeous and funny and I'm just always hoping it's him talking at the camera instead of a promo for a new single.

And I did like "I Think I'm OK", like, I've watched the music video twice. I think Yungblud is a really interesting artist; he's kind of punky and his songs I can make it through most of the time.

So I dunno. It's interesting. Normally when you have this problem it's because an artist whose art you like is a major dickbag and you have to justify yourself, but in this case, it's like. I don't care for your music, man, but you're cool, or something like that? I dunno, his daughter is adorable, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day