drafting a series

So, I write more first drafts than is probably good or necessary, we all know this, "Aurora" is synonymous with "definitely wrote fourteen first drafts already this year". And one thing is, if I know something's going to be a series, I like to have the whole series wrote out as fast as possible, because I am a pantser to the nth degree, you know.

So a couple days ago I finished the last first draft of this one series. And this is the series I've been vlogging my writing of; those vlogs'll still happen whenever I work on rewrites, because I am working on rewriting book one right now, but as far as the story goes? I know how it ends and it is done. And that's like--that's hard, man, and weird. I've only been working on this series since like, March, that's when I'm pretty sure I wrote the first draft for the first book, but I fell so hard for it. It doesn't help also that it is one of, if not the, most self-indulgent thing I've ever written, but the thing is--

It's been a long time since I've written a series to completion. I have a lot of random things that'll get a companion or a continuation that I wasn't expecting, and at first, that was this series, too. But when I started book four, I knew that it was book last. And it is. It's all wrapped up. Villain's dead, relationships tied off, sure I never figured out the personality for the main vocalist of the band but that's something a rewrite'll take care of. And I'm just like--

Lost.

Writing this series has been the most fun I've had writing for a long time. I'm not saying that I haven't enjoyed my other writing projects (though, as I'm sure I've said before, 'enjoy' is probably not the write word to use for how I feel about my WM3 project), and I'm not saying that I don't like writing, because none of that's true. I feel like I'm in a little bit of a creative boon right now. All I've been doing is creating, whether that be short stories, essays, videos, ten million first drafts, adding pages to my rewrites--and I'm loving it. It's just that working on this series, especially the first drafts, injected something back in. Something good, man.

And I'm not done with the series. Obviously I've got rewrites to do. I'm working on rewriting book one, and then that needs edits and everything, and then I can even go on and rewrite books two, three, four--which, dear God, especially two is gonna take a lot to make readable. But I'm done with the fresh onward shit, you know? And that's a little sad. Like I said, it's been a while since I've done that.

But now maybe I can stop having a constant first draft?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

bandit born + graduation day